I just want seniors to know how lucky we are to be graduating at this moment. Why not go out and do your best? No matter what label you had here at Renaissance, it’s not going to take away from your potential or character. I feel like if you can be the best you that you can be, people will love you for that.
I’m not going to say that I‘m this ideal student, but I’m one who cares and I feel like that’s a start. If you at least care about your path, then that leaves room for people to come and help you.
Who has helped you? Whom would you thank?
Well, obviously, Ms. Thomas. She’s wonderful. It’s hard to find somebody who’s that kind and caring nowadays. My case manager as well, Dr. Baker. She’s been there many times that I needed an ear to listen. One of our school psychologists, Dr. Bennett, definitely – 100 percent. I mean, pretty much all of my teachers for putting up with my stuff. There are just a lot of people in this school who are really on your side. The advice I’ve gotten and the things they’ve said to me, they’re almost like seeds being planted and, when the time was right, they grew.
From what I’ve seen and what I’ve been through, I really feel like 20 percent of your life is made up of what happens to you and the other 80 percent is how you choose to react to that 20 percent. People get so worked up over the things they can’t change instead of using that as their reason to push forward. That’s what it was for me. I was like, “This isn’t fair. My life isn’t fair. Why me? Why me?” Then it was like, “Maybe I need to learn this.” I think if you just stay optimistic, you’ll see the better side of things.
I feel like there is a lot of room for self-improvement. I know what I need to improve. Now it’s just about doing it. I just want people to realize that we are lions. We are courageous.